Art for Cancer Wellness: Community Guidelines
By participating in Kits to Heart’s Art for Cancer Wellness program, you agree to the following:
- Attendance to all sessions and participation in group discussion are highly encouraged and appreciated. If unable to attend a session for any reason, please send a courtesy email in advance.
- Art therapy is based on expression and processing—as well as the belief that the creative process involved in the making of art is healing and life-enhancing—rather than mastering of technique and execution. Even if art is not your forté, you are encouraged to work within your own artistic comfort zone and skill level.
- Treat each person and their artwork with care and respect. Positive support to peers is encouraged without any value statements or judgments made about your own or other’s artwork.
- Each participant is highly encouraged to write a reflection or artist’s statement about their artwork, summarizing or explaining what the artwork is, any symbolism or meaning, color associations, content representation, and/or the process creating the artwork.
- Confidentiality is key!
- If applicable, listening to music on headphones while creating artwork is allowed.
- Limited use of cellphones is expected.
- Please keep your camera on whenever possible and microphone muted unless speaking.
- Please inform the facilitator if you are feeling uncomfortable or unsafe in any way. You may also consider reaching out to the following:
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Call the NAMI Helpline at 800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Dial 988 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a trained crisis counselor
- Those who are uncomfortable with speaking on the phone can text "MHA" to 741-741 to speak with a trained crisis counselor at Crisis Text Line.
- Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger or go to the nearest emergency room.
- Please reach out with questions about how to use the materials provided if you are uncertain or struggling.
By participating in Kits to Heart’s moderated WhatsApp group chats, which are available upon request per group, you also agree to the following:
- Please treat each person with care and respect.
- Please maintain confidentiality regarding content discussed.
- Unsolicited medical advice is strictly prohibited.
- A participant who expresses any inappropriate and/or unwelcome behavior may be subject group removal.